Pharmacist Alliance (PA) launches the PIDO project in Virginia
What is the PIDO Projects?
The PIDO project utilizes local pharmacists as diabetes educators and extenders of accredited Diabetes centers to provide DSME/T and to improve diabetes care in their Communities. The PIDO Project aims to develop a sustainable and measurable community based programs to improve diabetes care in Virginia.
What is Diabetes Self-Management Education?
Diabetes Self-Management Education (DSME) is a critical component of diabetes care where self-management behavior is the key outcome. It has a client-centered Approach which allows the person with diabetes to lead the decision making process and initiate self-care. Research shows that people with diabetes who take a DSME program have improved diabetes knowledge and self-care behavior, as well blood glucose numbers, weight loss, and overall quality of life.
About the Pharmacist Alliance DSME Program
The Pharmacy Alliance DSME Program is run under the guidelines of Buchanan Health Diabetes Center (BHDC) and is nationally accredited by American Association of Diabetes Educators (AADE) as meeting the national standards for diabetes self-management education.
- A one hour initial health assessment
- Two 4-hours of group education on the basics of diabetes care (8-hours group).
- Class topics include living with diabetes, monitoring, nutrition, medication management, exercise, managing acute situations, and complication prevention
- The final hour is a group follow-up appointment 3 months after the group class.
- Participants may also be eligible for Medical Nutrition Therapy appointments and follow-up support opportunities to help with continuing lifestyle changes.
Availability of Services
The DSME Program is available to all Southwest Virginia residents with Type 2 Diabetes.
Fees are charged on a sliding scale and may be covered by insurance. BHCDC will accepts United Healthcare and Medicare. Other insurances may also cover DSME. Please check with your insurance provider prior to enrolling in the DSME Program.
Services are provided at Buchanan Health Clinic in Grundy, Health wagon in Wise, Antioch Church in Bristol and Lebanon Memorial Methodist Church in Lebanon.
Making a DSME Referral
Medical providers who want to make a referral should complete and fax the form below.